Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Caution: Composer Trying to Concentrate.

I never really thought I would miss the con library as much as I do right now. You see, I am composing again, and I miss my composing spot: the study carols in the con library's addition, along the southern wall. Having a spot is, in my experience, essential to actually being able to concentrate. I don't have one in my house now: the kitchen table has uncomfortable chairs, the sofa is too soft and inviting of sleep, and my TV and computer call to me wherever I am, basically. I need a place of relative quiet, where I can hear no other music, and where there is no TV. I need walls around my head that screen my peripheral vision, and a large, clean surface on which to write. Currently the closest thing I have to a spot is a too-upright green plastic chair on my front porch, where I must contend with such annoyances as bums, hoboes, idlers, scallywags, scofflaws, ne'er-do-wells, and public urinators; colonizing ants (large enough to actually wear tri-corner hats, should they choose to do so); rhythmic thumping from passing cars and revs from criminally unmuffled motorcycles; dogs that look cute until they poop on my lawn, and owners who look equally cute until they fail to pick up the poop (the fabled double-whammy of cuteness lost).

As such, it should come as no surprise that my progress in writing is less speedy than I had hoped. But fret not, my friends, for the impending nuptials of two college friends shall indeed have music. Music, I say!

Also, allow me to report on my professional development: I have officially left the realm of the temporary. Whereas I once stood with feet firmly on the ground, straining to stabilize the corporate ladder for those on their way up, I have now joined the ranks of the ladder-standers. Or something? The point is that I am now an employee at the very company that has used me on a contract basis for the past ten months. My job is basically the same, for now, but I get a little more money and health benefits, and, soon, an embossed nameplate to hang on the side of my cubicle. I've also received a company ID featuring what I believe to be the worst official photograph ever taken of me. Due to the unfortunate placement of the machine relative to my face, the light reflects off my glasses in such a way to make it seem that my left eye is lazy. Additionally, symmetrical shadows have appeared beneath my ears, giving the impression of a mullet. Thankfully, I rarely have to display my ID.

This weekend, I am traveling to Montreal with the gang to visit Manic and Pedantic, a friend from high school. I will issue a report on any international hijinks when I return.

4 Comments:

At June 28, 2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Josh Bisker said...

YAY! AN UPDATE!
Um, so who the heck is getting married, yo?
Are you composing more wedding music?
I think you should go for a kind of Empire Strikes Back kind of feel. The opening Star Wars fanfare did a good job for Matt & Christy's wedding, but I think that Empire had a whole different kind of complexity to it.

My secret word is, "gklzcre."

 
At June 28, 2006 2:10 PM, Blogger Rivers said...

Brian,

It comes as no surprise that your left eye is now lazy. I told you that would happen.

Return my email or die. See you in 2 weeks.

Josh-

Return my email or die.

 
At June 29, 2006 12:40 AM, Blogger Annabell said...

Having a "spot" for the creative birthing process is always important. Do you need a keyboard nearby or could you find some sort of coffeeshop or (my personal favorite) nook in a park or something? I imagine the park would have fewer hobos than your front porch. You should seriously consider starting a soup kitchen on your steps, or at least put a trash can out on your lawn for them to set a fire in, you inconsiderate bastard. Ooh, or break into the used-to-be-a-church place next door! Churchy inspiration for wedding music! I am brilliant.

I know I'm supposed to call you back, but my grandfather just died and I've been busy. Nothing personal.

 
At June 29, 2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Josh, when you wed, I will write you a deeply ominous, vaguely militaristic processional.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home